I offer representation in English and Portuguese.
November 21, 2014
As everyone has heard, President Obama announced new programs to benefit certain groups of immigrants. It’s important to know the following:
1. THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IS NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS YET. For now, you can hang onto your money.
2. THERE IS NO NEW LAW. Only Congress can pass a new law. This means that no one will be able to get a green card through these programs. No one will be able to get permission to travel outside the country through these programs.
Within the existing law, the president intends to offer deferral of deportation, and work authorization, to the following groups:
1. Those who were born before June 15, 1981, who came to the USA before the age of sixteen, who finished high school, and who can prove continuous residence since January 1, 2010. This group should be able to start filing applications in ninety days.
2. Those with children who are US citizens or holders of green cards, and who can prove continuous residence since January 1, 2010. This group should be able to start filing applications in 180 days.
Of course, whoever wants to apply for these programs will need to have a clean criminal record.
Until the programs begin, the immigration office suggests that those interested should start getting the following documentation together:
1. Proof of identity;
2. Proof of your relationship to a US citizen or to a holder of a green card;
3. Proof that you have lived in the US since January 1, 2010.
I will send more information as it develops.